STORIES AND ARTICLES: I have uploaded a few articles, stories, and manuscripts. I will add
more as I find them. All contributions welcome! (PLEASE!)
View these documents by using
Adobe Acrobat Reader
software (Version 3.0 or higher) available from Adobe for Macintosh, Windows 3.1, Windows95 and UNIX.
- This is the very well written manuscript
Mantooths of Tennessee: Genesis of an American Family.
It is written by Raymond Estep with revisions by Brenda Schwall. End notes have been
included in this document to show the research history. Last updated in November 1997.
- This is the compilation of Molly Graham Welch and Maryellen Leachman on
the Mantooth family name from Thomas Mantooth
down 6 generations. PDF Version
- Here is the extensive manuscript,
The Descendants of Cherokee Tom and Elizabeth Phariss Mantooth.
Jim Mantooth of Ball Ground, GA (originally from Bessemer, AL), Brenda Schwall (TN) and
Raymond Estep (OK) have been doing research on the family since 1978 and has compiled about 60 pages
of information. This may take a few visits to fully digest - but it's worth it!
- Also from the above document, you can skip straight to the
Tennessee Census Records - Another list of Mantooths.
- This Lufkin Daily News Article features a story on the
history of Mantooths in Angelina County, Texas. PDF Version
- This excerpt from the book Texas and Texans was published
in 1941 and also features a story on Mantooth history. PDF Version
- These records are from COLONIAL GENEALOGIST on Thomas Monteith of Virginia,
Merchant of Glasgow. It features history of
this Monteith family as it came over from Scotland. PDF Version
- The 1850 Cocke County Census was compiled by Lari Naismith.
It features nearly 1300 families including the Mantooths.
- The Pleasant Grove Baptist Church Minutes were researched by
Carolyn Sampson. Excerpts here from 1838-1860 feature the Mantooths and related lines.
- These are the Mantooth/Burke Cemetary Records for Cocke County, TN. PDF Version
- The minutes of Big Pigeon Primitive Baptist Church , 1787-1874. This includes
nearly 60 pages of family history in Cocke County, TN. Note: Samuel Phariss is also listed as "Fares"
in this document. (PDF version)
- The scanned images of the Samuel Phariss Bible
is available on the Cocke Co, TN GenWeb roots site.
- The Early Tax Records for 1787/88
Greene County by Abraham McKay are available. Other
Greene County Tax Records
are also available.
OTHER REFERENCES: Michael Mantooth has also created a Mentieth Family Page
which sponsors a similar search. Also check out
J.R. Cannon's Genealogy Page for an extensive tree. It
is very impressive. The Cocke County,
TN Genealogy page is growing and growing...
Additions or Comments? Send a note to